Zodiacal Motion: Outer Planets
- List the three outer planets visible to the naked-eye.
- What is the direction, roughly eastward or westward, for
direct and retrograde motions?
- Direct motion is roughly ______________
against the background of fixed stars.
- Retrograde motion is roughly ______________ against
the background of fixed stars.
- Outer planets spend most of their time in which motion,
direct or retrograde?
- Define opposition.
- Are the outer planets ever visible at midnight?
- When an outer planet is in the middle of retrograde motion, is
it closer to conjunction or to opposition?
- When does an outer planet appear at its brightest?
- In which direction (east or west) does Mars move...
- Prior to its first stationary point?
- At opposition?
- After its second stationary point?
- Record the length of the synodic
cycle of Mars, from one opposition to the next:
- Rank the following from shortest to longest:
___ Tropical (seasonal) period of the sun
___ Sidereal period of Mars
___ Sidereal period of Jupiter
___ Sidereal period of Saturn